Safety & Sea Survival Refresher Course
Bookings continue to be avaiable for the SSSC Refresher Course currently scheduled for 15 November 2020.
The Safety & Sea Survival Refresher Course is conducted over the period of one day, from 8.15am to 5pm Sunday at Wesley College, St Kilda Road Campus, 577 St Kilda Road, Melbourne.
For sailors whose certificates have expired*, regardless of when, a refresher course of eight hours tuition time should be attended. The refresher course is designed for active offshore racing sailors. Anyone who does not sail regularly should seriously consider attending a full two day Safety & Sea Survival course. A refresher course can also provide a valuable refresher for cruising sailors.
Check Certificate Validity
*Safety & Sea Survival Certificates have a validity of 5 years.
To check if you have an old certificate please click here.
Safety & Sea Survival Refresher Content
This course focuses on lessons learned from recent incidents, updates on equipment & regulations, safety information, and practical skills in the use of life rafts and life jackets. The course requires a minimum of eight hours tuition time, excluding breaks and travel, and meets the requirements of the World Sailing (ISAF) Special Regulations, Appendix G, Part D - Guidelines for an Offshore Personal Survival Refresher Course. The following content is to be included in the course:
- Recent changes to the Offshore Special Regulations including Amendments.
- New technology and safety equipment, including equipment requirements of the Special Regulations, and operational aspects of the equipment.
- Safety Information Notices.
- Lessons learned from accidents and incidents in Offshore & Ocean racing during the past five years.
- Changes to Maritime Search and Rescue and Meteorological services.
- Any updates on Medical services and/or Fire Fighting equipment and techniques.
- Three hour practical session on the use of life rafts and life jackets, activation of PLBs and EPIRBs, rescue, and in-water survival techniques (as per the Full Course).
- 2017-2020 AS Special Regulations Blue e-Book.
- Course attendees will receive a 'participant pack' that includes the latest RYA Sea Survival Handbook.
At the end of the course, participants will complete an assessment paper.
Youth (16-25 years old) $135
ORCV members receive discounted fees for training courses, so consider becoming a member today. Click here for more information on becoming an ORCV member.
What to Bring
Notepad and pens.
2017-2020 AS Special Regulations Blue e-Book.
Bring your electronic devices and adequate charging devices: You can view an electronic version of these regulations at: 2017-2020 AS Special Regulations Blue e-Book.
Examples of current Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) used on vessels you have set to sea on, as well as experiences to share with other attendees.
For the Wet Drill you must bring the following gear:
Full three layer ocean clothing (inner thermal layer, mid layer and outer ocean wet weather gear layer) & sea boots.
Wash all clothing including wet weather gear beforehand and empty all pockets.
PFD1 YA approved per Blue Book, check for currency and compliance with Standards.
If inflating your PFD1 manually, please remove the gas bottle.
Please do NOT bring Dye Marker.
From a safety aspect, the Instructors require you to wear closed shoes for the entire course, including the flare shoot. Gloves and protective eye wear will be provided for the flare drill.
We recommend that you prepare for this course as you would for an ocean voyage, and suggest you have an early night the day before and avoid alcohol consumption. A light lunch will be provided.
We ask that you adhere to the guidelines requested of us by Wesley College.
- 2 Wesley SKR Middle & Senior Campus Map 2018
- 3 SKR Middle School First Floor Plan 2017 Highlighted
- SSSC is on in the Middle School Campus, enter via Moubray Street, Gate 1, we are in the building directly along that street, so head to level one.
- No food or drink is allowed in the classrooms.
- No alcohol is allowed on the premises.
- Smoking is not permitted on the premises either within the buildings or on the grounds.
- Parking on the grass is strictly prohibited.