ORCV FORMAT FOR 2019 WINTER SERIES
The dates for the 2019 Winter Series are as follows:
- Race One - 22nd June, 2019. Format: 20 – 30nm Passage Race.
- Race Two – 6th July, 2019. Format: Blairgowrie Passage Race.
- Race Three – 3rd August, 2019. Format: 20 – 30nm Passage Race.
- Race Four – 31st August, 2019. Format: Geelong Passage Race.
- Race Five – 14th – Sunday 15th September, 2019. Format: Overnight Navigators Challenge Race.
Start Times TBA
The divisions available for this year’s Winter Series are as follows:
- Monohull Racing:
- Traditional Monohull Racing divisions:
- Female-based Crew Division (PHS)
- Double-Handed (PHS)
- Multihull Racing (PHS)
- Cruising (PHS – non-spinnaker)
4 + Autohelm on all monohull divisions
THE RACE FORMAT EXPLAINED
The revised format introduced for the 2018 Winter Series is based on a series of passage races of varying distances, from medium distance races around fixed marks at the top end of Port Phillip, to several longer distance passage races to popular destinations for warm hospitality from host clubs, at Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron (BYS), Royal Geelong Yacht Club (RGYC), and Hobsons Bay Yacht Club (HBYC).
Races One to Four commence via a Tower Start from either RMYS/RBYC respectively, as detailed in the Sailing Instructions (SI’s). Race Five will commence simultaneously from several different locations, designed to offer convenience to each participant, from all around the Bay.
Race One is a medium distance passage, commencing from a Tower Start from RMYS, and follows a course around fixed marks, set to offer the fleet a range of conditions to suit the prevailing wind direction on the day. A different course may be set for the cruising fleet, designed to ensure all competitors complete the course in similar time, based on the conditions of the day.
Race Two is a Passage Race to BYS. Commencing from a tower start at RBYC, the fleet will round several fixed marks as they head south past Sandringham Yacht Club (SYC), before crossing the open expanse of Port Phillip in a southerly direction, as they make their way around the Hovell Pile and on to the finish line at BYS.
“Shortened Course” options for the racing fleet, and motoring provisions for the cruising fleet may be included in the sailing instructions, to ensure that the fleet make it to Blairgowrie in time to enjoy the warm hospitality on a cool winter’s night.
Race Three is another medium distance passage race of approximately 20 – 30nm, commencing from a Tower Start from RBYC and progressing around fixed marks at the top and middle sections of the Bay, with the finish line to be set at the same location as the start.
Race Four is our very popular Geelong Passage Race, which has been running since 2009. With careful adjustment to the date for this popular event, we have been able to ensure that there is no longer a clash with other spinnaker fleet winter series, and our fleet increased to more than 30 boats for the 2018 race, with Stampede being the inaugural winner of the "Corio Bay Bowl". Who will be next on this impressive piece of silverware?
Race Five is the Navigators Overnight Challenge Race. Introduced for the first time as part of the Winter Series in 2018, this very popular event which has been part of our “Beyond The Bay” training program for the the last 5 years, and offers our offshore racing fleet an overnight hit out, before the Offshore Series commences in early November.
This event commences at 12:00 on Saturday the 14th of September from several nominated locations designed to be convenient for competitors. All teams are required to create their own course by selecting various legs between fixed marks all over the Bay, with the intention of sailing as far as possible in the time allocated, and arrive at the finish line in Hobsons Bay as close as possible to the finish time of 9:00am on Sunday morning. All competitors are then hosted at HBYC for a hearty breakfast and the event presentation.
THE DIVISIONS EXPLAINED
The revised format Winter Series now provides a variety of divisions to meet the changing needs of keelboat sailors for all events throughout the series.
- Traditional monohull racing divisions (IRC, AMS and PHS), will be offered as standard.
- Women's Division. The ORCV is very proud to once again offer the Women's Division for the 2019 Winter Series. Eligibility for this division will be based on the key crew positions of Skipper / Helm, Strings (Office) and Bow, being performed by female crew. This division will be scored based on PHS, and all entrants of this division will also be eligible to enter the IRC and AMS divisions.
- Double-Handed Division. In keeping with our ongoing commitment to Double-Handed sailing, we are also running a Double-Handed Division for all Winter Series events. As with the Women’s Division, Double-Handed teams will also be eligible to enter the IRC and AMS Divisions.
- 4+ Autohelm. As the first club in Australia to offer this exciting new division for the 2018 Melbourne to Hobart Westcoaster, the ORCV is committed to offering this division for all events, including the 2019 Winter Series. A dedicated 4 person team option with Autohelm assistance, which provides a real alternative to fully crewed teams, for experienced offshore and long distance bay racers.
- Cruising Division. In addition to the racing divisions, and in keeping with our commitment to training through our “Beyond the Bay” program, we continue with our Cruising Division for all Winter Series events. This division is a non-spinnaker series scored on PHS, and is intended to give the cruising fleet an opportunity to participate in the winter series events in a racing format against similar boats and crew, as well as enjoy the comradery of the ORCV and the warm hospitality of our host clubs for our destination events.
The rules for this division will also include provisions to ensure that the cruising fleet finishes at a similar time as the general racing fleet, so that all Winter Series teams are off the water at a similar time. These provisions will be further explained in the Sailing Instructions.
Click RACE DOCUMENTS tab for Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions.
Click ONLINE ENTRY tab to enter the series or individual races.