Navigator Courses (Online)
The role of the navigator today is vastly different to years past and, this is mainly because of the availability of modern technologies such as weather information, better instruments, and electronic charting, etc. The practical navigator course explores these technologies in relation to both time proven navigational practices and the demands of the modern skipper for more detailed information.
Your experience ORCV Skippers and Navigators will lead you on the background and theory using interactive and practical examples with the following courses
All courses run online and are suited to Ocean Racers, Cruisers, Motor Boats, Skippers and Crew.
It's been a big year, our teams are just redefining and reviewing the navigation course content. Please register your interest and join the list to be the first to know of the new courses.
This course provides an introduction to the basic navigation skills required for safe yachting in coastal waters including:-
- Explanation of underlying concepts which underpin navigation theory
- Concepts of time, and distance
- Use of latitude and longitude to define position
- Mercator charts
- Basic training in the use of paper and electronic charts
- The information they contain
- Understanding bearings, magnetic variation and chart datum
- Plotting and planning, on paper, using chart plotter
- Tides and their influence
- Route Planning Fundamentals
- Navigation technology – Chart plotters, GPS, AIS and related satellite services.
Upon completion of this course, participants will have the basic knowledge required to:-
- interpret charts, identifying, lights, leads markers and common hazards
- calculate bearings and plot positions
- understand the key components required for successful route plans for short coastal trips.
The course includes two teaching sessions and home assignments.
- Basic familiarity with the use of chart plotters
- Access to an electronic chart on Tablet, Ipad or PC for use during the course and/or a paper copy of a chart of Port Phillip Bay ( Aus 143).
- Some familiarity with the use of chart plotters would be helpful.
Fundamental Course Dates: Course Content (16 & 18 July) and Q&A on 22 July 2024
Cost: Non Members $220 per person, ORCV Members $187 (plus 50c booking fee)
Navionics the Basics
How can Navionics help you? This is a fantastic product for route planning, come and learn how. Over one online session you will learn
- Setting up Navionics for your boat
- Chart Layers
- Selecting the right overlay
- Advanced Map Options
- Adding waypoints
- Route planning using
- Dock-to-dock Autorouting
- GPX export
- Plotter Sync
- Weather Tides and Currents
- How to use Navionics at sea
- Add your boats AIS to Navionics
Speaker: Simon Dryden has been ocean racing for 40 years and sailing smarter has been his passion. So if you have the fastest boat and the best crew and you are in the wrong place, you won't win.
Course Date: TBC
ORCV Members - complimentary session
Non ORCV Members $50.00
Registration is essential.