Safety & Sea Survival Refresher Course Participant Information
The ORCV SSSC Refresher Course is provided in two parts.
Part 1 – Theory : Online Self-Paced Learning
Soon after booking your course with us, you will receive an email with a link to Part 1 – Theory online so you can commence your course. Your online learning is self-paced, however you must have completed and passed the exam before attending Part 2 – Practical.
An assessment paper must be passed to an 80% threshold and competencies demonstrated before the theoretical component of the course is considered complete.
Part 2 – Practical : Wet Drill, Flare Shoot and Incident Review
It is important that you carefully read the following information well in advance of attending the practical session.
We recommend that you prepare for this course as you would for an ocean voyage and have an early night the day before and avoid alcohol consumption.
A light lunch will be served on the day and tea/coffee will be available.
- Please bring a notepad and pen and be prepared to contribute examples of your own past sailing experiences and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s). In the group session our instructors and participants share experiences and focus on important lessons learned from recent incidents.
- Please also bring your completed Refresher Incident Worksheet (part of the online theory component) for the group discussion.
- Closed shoes must be worn.
- Flares, gloves and protective eye wear will be provided.
- If you have long hair, please bring a hair tie and ensure it is secured for the flare shoot.
Pool Wet Drill
The Wet Drill takes place in a heated pool at Wesley College.
Please bring along the following items:
- Full ocean clothing comprising of inner thermal layer, mid layer and outer ocean wet weather gear layer.
- Sea boots. If you do not have sea boots or never wear them while ocean sailing, replicate the footwear you would normally wear when ocean sailing.
- Crotch strap
If inflating your lifejacket manually, please remove the gas bottle.
Wash all clothing including wet weather gear beforehand and empty all pockets.
It is recommended that you ensure all items are labelled with your name so you can be notified if you’ve left them on site.
Should you not have a life jacket, we do have a small number that can be hired. Please note, there is a charge which is non refundable (should you not attend) which covers replacement of our loan gear. Book and show your ticket at the course. There is a limited number so reservations are required here https://www.trybooking.com/CHCMP
Additional Course Information