ORCV adoption of the Australian Sailing Membership Protection Policy
(and appointment of the ORCV MPIO)
The ORCV General Committee voted to adopt the Australian Sailing Membership Protection Policy (MPP) for its own members and participants. This policy is consistent with the ORCV rules. This document clarifies how the ORCV has implemented the Australian Sailing MPP for the ORCV.
Since all ORCV members, and all ORCV race participants (a requirement of an ORCV Notice of Race), are members of an Australian Sailing affiliated club, the Australian Sailing MPP was considered relevant and fit for purpose. It includes a code of behaviour, which all participants are expected to abide by. It seeks to “prevent all forms of harassment, discrimination and abuse and to promote positive behaviour and values”.
Key aspects of the ORCV’s implementation of the MPP are noted below:
- The MPP extends to all participants in ORCV events, not just ORCV Members. This includes staff, volunteers, sponsors, race and training participants, guests and supporters.
- The General Committee appoints the ORCV Membership Protection Information Officer. The General Committee has appointed to this role Tim Fowler. If there is no MPIO appointed the ORCV Commodore fulfills that role.
- The MPIO may appoint an investigation working group, ideally gender-balanced in matters of sexual misconduct or gender-based harassment. The working group will investigate, find facts where it can, determine whether the complaint is substantiated or not and recommend actions arising.
- All matters of a complaint will be kept confidential (between the MPIO and the investigation working group) throughout the investigation process and will remain confidential unless found substantiated.
- The Investigation report will be provided to the ORCV Commodore for the purposes of process oversight and approving implementation of recommendations.
- The working group may request from Australian Sailing an advisor, typically their MPIO. In such cases, they may receive some details of the complaint but it will remain in-confidence. The Australian Sailing MPIO will also determine whether escalation to the Australian Sailing CEO is necessary.
- Recommendations of a general nature, for example process improvements, will be provided to the ORCV General Committee and/or Australian Sailing.
To discuss an issue you may have or to make a complaint, please contact our MPIO Tim Fowler via 0432 033 314