For sailors whose certificates have expired*, regardless of when, a refresher (or update)course of 8 hours tuition time may be attended. The refresher, or update, course is designed for active offshore racing sailors and anyone who does not sail regularly should seriously consider attending a full 2 day Safety & Sea Survival course. An update course also provides a valuable refresher to cruising sailors.
Please note, it is no longer a requirement to complete a self-declaration of at least 2500 offshore nautical miles achieved in the previous 5 years
*SSS Certificates have a validity of 5 years
To check if you have an old certificate please click on the link below:
Content of the SSS Refresher, or Update course
This course focus is on lessons learned from recent incidents, updates on equipment & regulations, safety information, and practical skills in the use of liferafts and lifejackets. The course requires a minimum of 8 hours tuition time, excluding breaks and travel, and meets the requirements of the World Sailing (ISAF) Special Regulations, Appendix G, Part D - Guidelines for an Offshore Personal Survival Refresher Course.
The following content is to be included in the course:
- Recent changes to the Offshore Special Regulations including Amendments
- New technology and safety equipment, including equipment requirements of the Special Regulations, and operational aspects of equipment.
- Safety Information Notices
- Lessons learned from accidents and incidents in Offshore & Ocean racing during the past 5 years
- Changes to Maritime Search and Rescue and Meteorological services
- Any updates on Medical services and/or Fire Fighting equipment and techniques
- 3 hour practical session on the use of liferafts and lifejackets, activation of PLBs and EPIRBs, rescue, and in-water survival techniques (as per the Full Course)
- 2017-2020 AS Special Regulations Blue e-Book: 2017-2020 AS Special Regulations Blue e-Book
At the end of the course, participants will complete an assessment paper.
Dates, Locations, Times
Sunday, November 19, 2017, 8:15 am to 5:00 pm
Wesley College, St Kilda Road Campus, 577 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne, VIC 3004. Melways 58 B6
We ask that you adhere to the guidelines requested of us by the Weslety College.
Non Members $295
Course attendees will receive a 'participant pack' that includes the latest RYA Sea Survival Handbook