This course begins when the ORCV vessel steams from Sorrento Pier to collect the other passengers from Queenscliff, where there will be commentary on certain key elements of the area. Once the other passengers have boarded, the instruction by experienced offshore navigators and yachtsmen will begin. This covers:
- Underwater topography
- Points of interest
- Major channel beacons, marks and navigational aids
- Traffic data and radio protocols
- Queenscliff lead lights and shipping channels
- Tides and tide signals
- Identification of safe conditions and /or dangers
- How to perform a correct and safe passage in both directions
- Historical facts and points of interest to sailors and navigators.
From the instruction, you will learn about the patterns in tidal flow, how to set up for safe transits of the Rip and experience the correct channel protocols in use. Favourable conditions will either be observed or described depending on the day, as well as learning how to anticipate and therefore avoid, dangerous situations.
Click here for more details and to register for the tour.