Satellite Phones for Yachts not equipped with HF radio now approved for ORCV Cat 1 & 2 Races
In a move which will help contain the cost of offshore racing, ORCV is pleased to confirm that Australian Sailing has approved the use of Sat Phones for all ORCV Cat 1 & 2 Races in yachts which are not HF equipped.
Sat phones are substantially cheaper to purchase, and unlike HF radios which require substantial set up, are readily available on the rental market.
In summary, the requirements of the dispensation are that all boats not complying with the HF radio requirements of SR 3.25.1(a) must have an appropriately configured VHF radio and shall carry a satellite phone that can:
- Demonstrate speed dialling to AMSA and the ORCV Race Director
- Can receive appropriate weather warnings
- Be recharged during racing or are permanently connected to the boat’s power supply
- If portable are attached to the boat at all times
- Only the Inmarsat and Iridium satellite networks are approved
The VHF radio must be permanently installed, DSC capable, programmed with a MMSI and connected to a GPS receiver.